320 kbps | 323 MB | LINKS
• The Fall’s first studio album, reissued as a 3CD clamshell box-set (Also available as a limited edition red coloured vinyl LP).
• Founded by its only constant member, Mark E. Smith, The Fall formed in Manchester in 1976 and were one of the most prominent post-punk groups in the world. Musically, there may have been several stylistic changes over the years, but it was often characterised by an abrasive guitar-driven sound and frequent use of repetition, always underpinned by Smith’s distinctive vocals and often cryptic lyrics.
• “They are always different; they are always the same…” John Peel
• Live At The Witch Trials is the debut studio album – released 16th March 1979 – these editions celebrate the fortieth anniversary of this seminal album.
• Originally released through record label Step-Forward, it was recorded in a single day and mixed by producer Bob Sargeant.
• Mark E. Smith’s lyrics include his unique commentary on the music business (‘Music Scene’), poorly paid jobs (‘Industrial Estate’) and drugs (‘No Xmas For John Quays’, ‘Like To Blow’, ‘Frightened’, ‘Underground Medecin’).
• Sounds magazine reviewer Dave McCullough gave it five stars at the time of release, writing: “an album of staggeringly rich, mature music, inner questioning hand in hand with rock and roll at its fiercest, its finest, its most honest, rock and roll at its naked, most stimulating”.
• Featuring the one and only Mark E. Smith alongside Martin Bramah, Marc Riley, Karl Burns and Yvonne Pawlett.
• This is first release in Cherry Red’s new series of deluxe Fall reissues: “Fall Sound Archive”.
• The 3CD version comes housed in a clamshell boxset. Alongside the full album is a disc of b-sides and session tracks and a live show from Mr Pickwick’s in Liverpool 1978. The boxset also features a booklet of new sleeve notes by Daryl Easlea and has been remastered by long-term Fall engineer Andy Pearce.
Disc: 1 – Live At The Witch Trials
2. Crap Rap 2/Like To Blow
3. Rebellious Jukebox
4. No Xmas For John Quays
6. Industrial Estate
7. Underground Medecin
8. Two Steps Back
9. Live At The Witch Trials
10. Futures And Pasts
11. Music Scene
Disc: 2 – Singles / Rehearsals / Live / Sessions
1. Bingo Master’s Break-Out!
2. Psycho Mafia
4. It’s The New Thing
5. Various Times (Extended Version)
6. Dresden Dolls (Home Rehearsals From Dresden Dolls Bootleg Single)
7. Psycho Mafia (Home Rehearsals From Dresden Dolls Bootleg Single)
8. Industrial Estate (Home Rehearsals From Dresden Dolls Bootleg Single)
9. Stepping Out (Live From Short Circuit: Live At The Electric Circus)
10. Last Orders (Live From Short Circuit: Live At The Electric Circus)
11. Rebellious Jukebox (John Peel Session)
12. Mother – Sister! (John Peel Session)
13. Industrial Estate (John Peel Session)
14. Futures And Pasts (John Peel Session)
15. Put Away (John Peel Session)
16. Mess Of My (John Peel Session)
17. No Xmas For John Key (John Peel Session)
18. Like To Blow (John Peel Session)
Disc: 3 – Mr Pickwick’s, Liverpool 22/8/78
1. Like To Blow (Live 1978)
2. Stepping Out (Live 1978)
3. Two Steps Back (Live 1978)
4. Mess Of My (Live 1978)
5. It’s The New Thing (Live 1978)
6. Various Times (Live 1978)
7. Bingo-Master’s Break-Out! (Live 1978)
8. Frightened (Live 1978)
9. Industrial Estate (Live 1978)
10. Psycho Mafia (Live 1978)
11. Music Scene (Live 1978)
12. Mother-Sister! (Live 1978)